The American Society of Biomechanics is now accepting submissions for research symposium proposals. We are seeking highly innovative and impactful symposia organized by ASB members for presentation at the annual conference.
November 1, 2022 – Call for submissions
January 16, 2023 – Deadline for submissions
January 17, 2023 – Review process begins
February 14, 2023 – Notification of acceptances
Each symposium will have a 90 minute time slot and must have a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 speakers. There should be at least a 15-minute moderated panel, audience discussion, or another interactive format scheduled within the symposium.
Proposals will be evaluated by the ASB Program Committee. Reviews will be based on the quality of the proposal and appropriateness for the ASB communities. Symposium organizers, and all speakers, must be registered for the conference once registration opens.
Priority for selection will be given to symposia that include one or all of the following:
- Provide a bridge between basic science, kinesiology, engineering and/or clinical domains
- Topics that address contemporary, novel and/or controversial issues
- Encourage debate between presenters and/or the audience
- Are educational and encourage discussion among attendees
- Include a diverse group of speakers that bring unique approaches or perspectives to the topic
- Topics in biomechanics outside the traditional focus areas of ASB are encouraged
Proposals may not exceed 8000 characters (approximately 1000 words) and should include the following:
- Symposium title
- Organizer name, institution and contact information
- Confirmation that the organizer is an ASB Member in good standing
- Description of symposium including:
- Explanation of how the symposium addresses the ASB selection priorities
- Description of the presenters and their unique contributions(s) to the symposium
- Description of the symposium format, how the audience will be involved, and if there is a debate, how will it be structured and moderated and by whom (if not the Chair) etc.
As a general rule, ASB will not provide any support for travel or other expenses for symposium speakers or organizers. However, limited support (e.g. discounted registration) may be available for some speakers who do not typically attend ASB meetings but would make a significant contribution.
Please contact the ASB 2023 Secretariat for details.